Monday, March 14, 2011

iPad 2 for mags?



Image from apple.com


Okay, I confess. I’m a bit of a techno neophyte. In fact, I recently had to downgrade my circa 1999 cellphone for a circa 1982 one because somehow it managed to crap out on me even though it was hardly ever used.

Now that’s not to say I’m not enamoured with the Apple iPad like the rest of North America. I mean, the thing is seriously cool despite it’s rather unfortunate name (clearly, a man came up with this moniker). Earlier this month, Apple unveiled the iPad 2 and it’s even cooler than the first one. Apparently Apple was feeling the heat from competing tablet devices even though it has already sold 15 million iPads. This newer, lighter, slimmed-down version sounds like a weight loss ad with its 33 percent thinner design. It’s also intended to be more interactive with front and rear cameras, and video chat. CPU speed is supposed to be twice as fast and graphics are rendered up to nine times faster.

But with all that said, how’s the iPad for magazines? I’m still a paper-arts gal at heart, but I’ve seen magazines on the iPad, and they do look sharp. But are people really reading them or just wowed by the fancy touch technology and impressive graphics? And what about magazine apps? There are now more than 350,000 apps available with more than 65,000 native to the iPad.

So tell me. This neophyte wants to understand the hype. Are you using a tablet device like the iPad? And if so, are you reading magazines or using magazine apps on it? Give me the good, the bad and the ugly, please! 

--- Colleen Seto
AMPA Blogger-in-Residence