Monday, November 22, 2010

50,000 Words In 30 Days

by Andrea Cubala

On November 1st, I opened my laptop and starting writing. With a story in mind (the same story that’s been in there for years, waiting for a push) I typed at 1,667 words every day to make sure I was off to a good start in completing the goal: 50,000 words by midnight on November 30th. Well, it’s day twenty and where am I? About 16,007 words short… Seeing that number makes my heart hurt. But the stress is worth it.

Why do I do it? I came across Nanowrimo (National Novel Writing Month) last year. Run by the Office of Letters and Light, Nanowrimo’s home base is in Berkeley, California—but the location doesn’t matter because anyone can participate! The premise is simple: write 50,000 words between November 1st and 30th. There is nothing to win but your own satisfaction. Last year, I got to 38,000 words and I can honestly say it was an extremely satisfying experience. Pushing your creative limits, getting to know your characters, and watching your imaginary world unfold before your very eyes are just some of the perks along the way. Plus, you get a taste of what it’s like to be a true writer; one who continues even in the face of adversity.

I know it is now more than halfway through the month (please, don’t remind me) but don’t let that stop you from joining in. Challenge yourself. Write 10,000 words and see how it feels. Or even just 5,000. Trust me, you won’t regret it.